The Greenhouse Effect Graphic
The Greenhouse Effect shows a graphic of solar energy and the greenhouse gas effect overlaid on a picture of the earth. The greenhouse effect is shown to follow these five steps:
- Solar radiation passes through the clear atmosphere.
- Most radiation is absorbed by the Earth's surface and warms it.
- Some solar radiation is reflected by the Earth and the atmosphere.
- Some of the infrared radiation passes through the atmosphere, and some is absorbed and re-emitted in all directions by greenhouse gas molecules. The effect of this is to warm the Earth's surface and the lower atmosphere.
- Infrared radiation is emitted from the Earth's surface.